Housing Benefits and Council Tax Support

Latest news

Benefit Annual Decision Letters 2018

Benefit annual decision letters are currently being produced and will be posted or available to view online to customers from 9 March onwards.

Customers who have a Citizen’s Account will receive an email when their decision letter is ready to view online.

The email will be sent from cheshireeastbenefits@citizensaccount.co.uk. If you have not received an email, check your spam or junk folder. To ensure that you receive all future emails, add cheshireeastbenefits@citizensaccount.co.uk to your email Address Book or Safe List. 

Have your say!

The survey asking you to tell us how you think we can improve the benefits claims process ended 23 March 2018. The results will be available soon.

Already getting Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support...

Don’t forget to tell us about any changes in your circumstances or those of any other people who live with you. You can do this online using our online Benefit Change in Circumstances form.

What's New

We will be launching a number of digital online services over the coming months. We consider security and data protection with the highest priority.  We ensure that data you submit online complies with appropriate security standards and best practices. We also display a padlock in your address bar for online submissions that request sensitive information.

Removal of housing support for those aged 18-21

From 1 April 2017 housing support for single claimants aged 18-21 years was removed, in claims made for Universal Credit, in areas that have rolled out the Universal Credit Full Service. Housing support will continue for those claiming Housing Benefit in the Cheshire East area until Universal Credit becomes a full service area within Cheshire East.

Universal Credit

From 19 July 2017 part of Cheshire East will be receiving Full Service Universal Credit, this means we will no longer be able to pay Housing Benefit whilst your Universal Credit claim is completed.  For more information please see our Welfare Reform page

Reductions to the amount of awards payable for 3 or more children

From 6 April 2017 Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support awards are limited to 2 children.  This is to fall in line with the changes made to Child Tax Credit.  The change affects new claims for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support made after 6 April and the restriction will also apply to existing claimants with 2 children who have a 3rd child after 6 April 2017.  There are certain circumstances where a restriction will not apply.  If your Child Tax Credit awarded based on 3 or more children please let us know as we can take account of this in your award.

You must still tell us if you have 3 or more children as we still include them in the household for Local Housing Allowance and Under Occupancy purposes.

Extra bedroom for carers of Children or non dependants

From 1 April 2017 an additional bedroom can be allowed in their home for a disabled child or disabled non dependant who requires overnight care from a non resident carer or group of carers. 

In order to qualify the child or non dependant must be in receipt of Disability Living Allowance care, paid at the middle or higher rate or Personal Independence Payment daily living component or Armed Forces Independent Payment.

There must be a spare room available for the carer and a carer must have been organised.

Extra bedroom required as a couple can no longer share a bedroom

From 1 April 2017 an additional bedroom can be allowed  in their home if a couple are no longer able to share a bedroom due to size restriction caused by medical equipment or because of a member of the couple’s disability.   

In order to qualify the disabled party must be in receipt of Disability Living Allowance care, paid at the middle or higher rate or Personal Independence Payment daily living component or Armed Forces Independent Payment.

There must be a requirement for an extra room, an award of a qualifying benefit on its own is not sufficient to award an extra room.

Contact the Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support Service

Email council's benefit enquiries

Phone: 0300 123 5013

For help and advice in person visit a contact centre
You can deliver supporting evidence at the contact centre or your local library.

We are committed to treating people fairly, regardless of their disability, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, transgender status, age, religion or beliefs. Please contact us if you have any concerns or need extra help

Council Tax Support

Cheshire East Council created its own scheme to replace Council Tax Benefit on 1 April 2013. More information is available on the Council Tax Scheme.

Can't find what you're looking for?