Free children’s creative events throughout the summer holidays
6 August 2018
Children will get the chance to take part in a fun learning initiative which will develop their skills in digital creativity, coding, design and music.
Cheshire East Council’s Shift digital activities programme has launched a new events initiative called ‘Make Shift Crewe’. This is in partnership with the council’s library services and Wavemaker, a community interest company based in Stoke.
There will be a total of eight free sessions on Tuesdays and Thursdays throughout August – starting on Tuesday 7 August and finishing on Thursday 30 August. These were funded by Crewe Town Council.
Through this initiative, youngsters aged between five and 18 will be able to set up a mobile digital laboratory, carrying out a range of fun learning activities.
The ‘drop-in’ sessions will focus around working with animations, computer coding work and 3D printing, as well as the popular construction game Minecraft.
Councillor Jos Saunders, Cheshire East Council cabinet member for children and families, said: “This is an excellent opportunity for children to have fun, learn and develop their skills during their holidays. Parents are able to watch their children play and develop their creative skills and they can get involved too!
“We are delighted to be able to unveil this initiative, which will provide up to 20 hours of fun and creative learning activities in Crewe for youngsters throughout August. We would like to thank Crewe Town Council for their continued support.”
The activities are:
Visitors can create their own circuits to create their choice of music. Play a music masterpiece with fruit and Play-Doh! Youngsters will be able to find out more about parallel and serial circuit design and functions.
Robot Coding challenge
This showcase will be a hands-on introduction on what we need programming for and why it is an important skill for the future.
Intro to 3D Printing and Manufacture
These fun and engaging sessions focus on 3D Design, printing and manufacture. Learners will find out about current and future technologies and get ‘hands on’ using the Wavemaker iPads, pre-loaded with 3D design apps and software to play and create some unique 3D pieces.
The events take place at:
- Tuesday 7 August. 10am-12.30pm Jubilee House, St. Paul's Street, Crewe CW1 2QA
- Thursday, 9 August. 10am-12.30pm Bethany Centre, Limetree Avenue, Crewe CW1 4HZ
- Tuesday, 14 August. 10am-12.30pm St Andrew’s Church Parish Hall Corner of Bedford Street / Ernest Street, Crewe CW2 6JE
- Thursday, 16 August. 1pm-3.30pm YMCA Fun Day, Derby Docks, Derby Street, Crewe CW1 3ER
- Tuesday, 21 August. 10am-12.30pm Georges Community Centre, West Street, Crewe CW1 2QA
- Thursday, 23 August. 1pm-3.30pm YMCA, Derby Docks, Derby Street, Crewe CW1 3ER
- Tuesday, 28 August. 10am-12.30pm Crewe Lifestyle Centre, Moss Square, Crewe CW1 2BB
- Thursday, 30 August. 1pm-3.30pm YMCA, Derby Docks, Derby Street, Crewe CW1 3ER